France had the first round of its presidential election today. To no one’s surprise, Socialist candidate Francois Hollande leads incumbent Nicholas Sarkozy in the exit polls. However, horrible far-right Marine Le Pen is doing way better than was predicted by polling. What happened here? Was this a random sampling mishap, or are voters lying about their choice?
On Friday, five separate polling agencies released polls based on samples taken over Wednesday and Thursday (available here, here, here, here, and here). These should be reasonably close to how people actually voted, and since they’re all polling all of France at the same time they should be sampling the same distribution of voters. So based on those polls, what’s the likelihood of the exit poll outcome we saw today?
Oh the graph above, the bell curves represent what the last five polls predict, and the horizontal dashed lines indicate the actual exit poll results. For Hollande and Sarkozy, then polling did a good job; the polls are pretty close to the middle of the bell curve. For (despicable bigot) Le Pen, though, the actual vote share was way higher than what the polls predicted. What happened here? There are three possibilities:
- The polling agencies all just randomly picked a sample without very many Le Pen voters. As you can see from this graph, this possibility is so far out at the end of the bell curve that it barely even registers.
- Lots of people changed their votes over the weekend. Millions of French people woke up Sunday morning with their mind totally changed and marched out to vote for Le Pen even though previously they’d been set on another candidate. This is definitely possible, although Le Pen never touched 20% support in any poll in the last two months.
- Voters are lying to pollsters because they don’t want to admit (even to a stranger) that they are the pathetic small-minded racists who would vote for Le Pen.
Almost certain that #3 is what’s going on here. This has scary implications for polling European elections, because it indicates that as voter dissatisfaction with the eurozone and the response of the mainstream parties to the ongoing crisis grows we might see some really unpleasant surprise election results over the next couple years.
Great analysis of the French presidential election. Of note — Le Pen toppled the first-round score her father, Jean-Marie Le Pen, scored in 2002, a showing which her party suggests solidifies her long-term potential. Read up more on the election over here.
Reblogging mostly for Leah, but also because what I know of Le Pen is just really fucking terrifying, and I can’t believe one in five French people would vote for her. It’s just gross.
107 Notes/ Hide
- whatisnedmayneverdie reblogged this from jakke
- goodeatsguru likes this
- chiqk12 likes this
- solairebee reblogged this from jakke and added:
- titaniumous reblogged this from jakke
- hungryyouth likes this
- cffffffffff likes this
- popeghosts likes this
- mariopgrant likes this
- moji-moji reblogged this from nezzz
- creatingatlantis likes this
- palma-klatoecha likes this
- nezzz reblogged this from jakke
- fralusans-ana-marein likes this
- fragmentsofasong reblogged this from pol102 and added:
- evrworld reblogged this from jakke
- evrworld likes this
- 17stepsold reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- 17stepsold likes this
- seldo likes this
- alectointhunderland reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- jessthemesslol reblogged this from shortformblog
- idealisticwasteland likes this
- resurrecthobbes likes this
- rebcat likes this
- pdl2h reblogged this from gtokio
- theresmyblog likes this
- aatombomb likes this
- them-witches reblogged this from bonparisien and added:
- encherchantsonchemin likes this
- ayiman likes this
- gtokio reblogged this from shortformblog
- muchtoocynical reblogged this from shortformblog
- esendoran likes this
- oisel likes this
- pol102 reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- summerskyed likes this
- verbalresistance reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- pethics reblogged this from bonparisien
- digatisdi likes this
- asian-parisian likes this
- i-thaphithin reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- gimmem0re reblogged this from shortformblog
- tetraghost likes this
- verbalresistance likes this
- noctits reblogged this from jakke and added:
- clubmaintenant reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- javert likes this
- citylightscomebackinjune likes this